Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The accidental runner

Life is very interesting when you take a moment and look back on where you were and where you are potentially headed. Just a few years back I was living in San Francisco before making the move to Los Angeles. The first time that I came to LA I thought that I could never live in the city and there are still days when I think the same thing. After a short stint in LA my gfriend of a few years decided to move to SF and take a job in her dream city. To be honest I was crushed and thought that the world had come to an end. 

Before that the mere thought of running was not something that I enjoyed. Growing up I played all kinds of sports but once in SF I became a foodie and rather lazy. My Saturdays were comprised of a few donuts, some coffee with cream and college football. 

To get over the fact that she left LA for a job in SF and another guy I took to running or a half ass attempt at running. I did a few marathons with very little training and got tired of that scene. For a new challenge I took up triathlons and that offered a real challenge because I can't swim worth jack and the bike, well lets just say that does not have many miles on it.

I think got tired of the triathlon scene and fast forward to ultras. I went to watch my first ultra event (Leona Divide 50 miler) and I was hooked. You just cannot beat the people and the scenery. It is more important to just get out there and do your best then always worrying about your finishing time. 

In the two years that I have been running ultras I have completed a few 50ks, 50milers, 100milers and one 24 hour event. I look back after my first RnR Phoenix marathon and thought 26.2 miles was enough and now I think that 100 mile race is not far enough. There is something very relaxing about being out on the trails for that distance. One that is very hard to explain to others but for 100 miles I can turn my brain off and be myself. 

Now that the results for my races are getting better I am trying to become more serious about my training but we will see how that goes. Last month I did 300 miles which is a lot for me but I felt great so that is a good sign to come. I try to get my monthly mileage between 175-225 with spinning, swimming and core workouts spread throughout the month as well. 

Oh well that is enough of a background on me for now - more to come later


1 comment:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

pretty incredible what u have done in a short period of time in Ultra Land, keep focused!

Going to be fun to see what u can do over the next 5 years!!