Thursday, June 25, 2009

Espresso Gels, Jimboy Tacos, 100 miles - Finally WS is here

Man I have never been so excited for a race and I am not even in it! This weekend all the hype will unfold starting Saturday at 5 am at the base of Squaw Valley and some 15 hours later a champ will emerge. The carnage and glory that will unfold over those 100 miles should be spectacular to witness and with temps hovering around 100 degrees the runners better be prepared to deal with some serious heat. 

I am going up to crew/pace Kyle (Bib #252) and to meet up with some new running friends as we share stories and watch the runners come through. Even though WS is not my favorite course I really enjoy the 3 day camp and pacing the last 38 miles of the race. Kyle is gunning for 18 hours and I am going to do my best not to let him down. He pushed me the last 30 of San Diego and will probably be by my side at AC pushing me up Chantry and Sam Merrill so I better be able to pay him back 10 fold at WS. He does not know it but I am bringing a stash of espresso gels to put in his water bottle to repay him for SD.

Will provide all the fun and exciting details on Monday when I return from Auburn and will probably get to witness a new course record as the talent is just too deep and everyone seems to be getting faster by the day. Who will win old school 100 mile veterans or the new school 50k/50m track guys; for what it is worth my money is Jurek as he is too smart, knows the course and can handle the heat.

Follow the action live at http://webcast.ws100.com/webcast.php

Enjoy the weekend as I certainly will.

Just want to give one more shout out to some of my friends running this weekend:

Kyle Hoang #252
Jimmy Dean Freeman #216
Michelle Barton #103
Ben Berkowitz #43
Kevin Sullivan #401

No comments: