Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Recovery? What is that?

Finally after almost a week off of running I was able to get back into the swing of things this past weekend. Then again, the month of May and the early part of June was the most that I had run in my entire lift. That stretch included the Keys 100 Mile race, Western States Training Camp (72 miles) and the San Diego 100 Mile race. I guess my body needed a break; so I opted for more spin classes and swimming.

This past Saturday was the Goats Graduation run; which is a 16 mile run through Sycamore Canyon followed by a potluck and a small little award ceremony on the beach. The Goats just happens to be a running club with runners and hikers of all different levels and interest and they run mostly through the Santa Monica Mountains. I was not able to make as many Saturday morning runs as I did last year due to my heavy race schedule and tax season but it was nice to be there on the final day. It is really hard to ask for a better group of people to spend a Saturday morning with. Afterwards I hit the gym for a little swim and a core workout. Nice way to get back into things.

Sunday was a relaxing day with a little over 6.5 miles through downtown LA (my neighborhood) followed by some light swimming, a spin class with weights, and a 15 minute session in the sauna in sweatshirt and sweat pants (heat training). All in all it was my own little sprint triathlon.

The legs are starting to feel fresh again and that is good becasue I have some big races/training runs to get ready for. The races I will only be pacing/crewing for but they are important as you never want to let a fellow runner down. This weekend is the night training run for AC 100 - Chantry Flats to the finish; which is approx 26 miles, the following weekend I will be up at WS 100 pacing Kyle and watching all the excitement unfold amongst the elites and then in the middle of July I am in Death Valley for the Badwater Ultramarathon. I did not get in this year (too new to the ultra scene) but could not be happier to be out there doing whatever I can to help Tony Portera to Whitney Portal. I ran the Keys 100 in preparation for this race so lets see how that plays out.

So much to come in the next few weeks so stay posted as I should have some really good photos and stories to share. Now I just need to find someone to share them with.

No comments: